A plan to to improve safety near the playground was considered by the Wenham Board of Selectmen on Tuesday night.
No final decision was made, but there were several advantages and disadvantages discussed about whether it is a good idea to close the northern end of the road. Below are some pros and cons followed by a reader poll.
Attached to this story as a PDF also find two memos, one from Chief Ken Walsh and one from Chief Bob Blanchard, each with their professional opinion about whether closing School Street is a good idea.
- There will be no traffic driving within feet of a playground
- It will eliminate confusion in the minds of children about when the road is closed and when it is open
- It will create an uninterrupted play area from the field to the playground
- It could delay emergency response times in the area
- It could force drivers to turn around in an unsafe location
- It could force more traffic on to nearby streets