.

Hamilton Town Hall Evacuated After Gas Leak, Back to Normal Now

Hamilton Town Hall was evacuated for about an hour on Monday morning after a slight odor of natural gas was detected.

Everything is back to normal after a natural gas odor at on Monday morning prompted an evacuation of the building for about an hour.

The and National Grid were called at about 8:45 a.m. for the smell of natural gas in the building, at 577 Bay Road.

Town Manager Michael Lombardo said Town Hall employees were outside for about an hour while firefighters checked the building and called National Grid.

Natural Grid workers replaced a flow regulator on the outside of the back of the building, Fire Chief Phil Stevens said. A slight leak was found by National Grid workers, he said, and he wasn’t even sure whether the gas could have gotten inside the building.

“People are back in the building and we are open,” Lombardo said at about 2:30 p.m. “It’s not registering anything on the (gas) meters.”

It was the second time in less than a week since a town building in Hamilton had to be evacuated because of a gas leak. Last Wednesday, students at spent about the first hour of school at the while a part was replaced in the boiler room after a gas leak there.

The Fire Department was called back to the Town Hall on Monday afternoon for a “very subtle whiff” of natural gas.

Stevens said it is likely that a dried up sewer drain on the first floor that was giving off the odor.

“The smell they were smelling is sewer gas,” Stevens said.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something