Medics checked out three staff members after complaining of headaches caused by an odor in the school on Tuesday mourning.
The was called to the school – which is next door to the fire station - at about 8 a.m. and encountered light smoke and a “strong odor” in the building, according to Deputy Chief Kirby Brand.
No students complained of any medical problems, Brand said.
The odor and smoke were traced to an appliance – firefighters right now aren’t saying what type of appliance - and the building was ventilated.
Since the school day hadn’t started yet, buses full of students were diverted to .
“We were lucky because it was right before school started,” Brand said.
None of the staff members who were complaining of headaches were taken to the hospital.
Students were returned to the school at about 10 a.m.
Winthrop Principal Carrie Vaich did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Tuesday morning.