.
News Alert
Bus Will Give Little League Fans Free Ride to Game

Trooper Who Released Tsarnaev Photos: I'd Do It Again

Sean Murphy said he has no regrets as he prepares to run the Boston Marathon in honor of a boy killed in last year's bombings.

Former State Trooper Sean Murphy. Credit: WHDH/7News
Former State Trooper Sean Murphy. Credit: WHDH/7News
Former State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy, who was disciplined after releasing unauthorized photos of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, said he'd do it all over again.

Murphy released photos of a bloodied Tsarnaev being captured by authorities in Watertown. He did it without permission from his superiors. He said he released the photos in response to the controversial Rolling Stone magazine cover photo that showed Tsarnaev posing like a male model.

"That was the real face of terror, that wasn't the guy who was on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine," Murphy told WHDH/7News. "I would have done everything exactly the way it happened. I've slept comfortably every night since that day."

Murphy was suspended and then retired voluntarily.

This year, he's running the Boston Marathon with Team MR8, which was formed to honor 8-year-old Martin Richard, a Dorchester resident who was one of three people killed in the marathon bombings last year.
Sayona April 17, 2014 at 05:19 PM
I'm going with hawk's opinion. What he did counteracted the Rolling Stone cover, showing the real truth of what happened. Though it would be nice to know if he received money for his photos or just released them- anyone know?
Matthew April 18, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Hawk.....There were no laws broken here. Yes, he may have broken a department policy. But not a policy that should have forced his retirement. Think of this. Police and Fire departments all over the country now post Twitter pictures while on scene working an incident. Obviously if their taking pictures, then their not doing their jobs. Isn't that breaking department policy also? No reprimands happening. I still think this was a lame decission by the MSP.
Bob April 18, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Scott is right. He broke no law and the photos he released were already cleared for not being used as evidence. I think he deserved punishment but I thought the one week suspension was the right move. To be moved to Athol was a crap move by the State Police or whomever ordered it.
Tom Jeffords April 22, 2014 at 08:23 AM
It's too bad that there weren't sequential pictures showing Tsarnaev with a red laser dot on his head, and then him laying on the ground with his head split open like a dropped melon.
Brian F Hickman April 23, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Nothing wrong with showng the photos! Good job Sgt. Too bad they didn't show pictures of American's with their legs blown off or the people that were killed. They "EXECUTED" an MIT Police Officer! We were all upset and had no sympathy for these 2. Too put his picture on the cover of a magazine is "OUTRAGEOUS"!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »