Today is Friday, Nov. 18. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Sun: On Friday, forecasters are saying that we can put the last two overcast days behind us. The forecast calls for sunny skies and temperatures close to 50 degrees.
2. Food Drive: Today is the best time to get ready for for . Non-perishable food should be set out
3. Girls’ Cross-Country: The girls’ cross-country team travels to in Boston on Saturday in its quest to become state champions. Last Saturday at the same place, the team squeaked by to . This weekend, they face other division champions for the state title.
4. Earthquake: One of the strongest earthquakes ever felt on the North Shore hit this area about 250 years ago. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, a magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck Cape Ann on this day in 1755, shaking Hamilton and Wenham.
5. Hamilton Leaf Pickup: Saturday will be the first chance this fall in Hamilton . Leaves need to be set out by 7 a.m. in either a biodegradable paper bag or trash can. Only leaves can be in the bags or barrels with no brush, branches or grass clippings.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.