Today is Monday, Jan. 2. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Warm: Enjoy it while it’s here – the temperatures into the 40s on Monday will be our last gasp at warm temperatures for a few days. It will be sunny on Monday, too, before temperatures are forecasted to stay below freezing through Thursday.
2. Holiday: Monday is New Year’s Day Observed, meaning it is a federal holiday. , and are all closed. Most banks are closed, including all three banks in Hamilton. Trash pickup is delayed by a day on Monday and for the rest of the week and there is no mail delivery on Monday. The MBTA commuter rail trains will be operating on a Saturday schedule.
3. Good Neighbor Energy Fund: The Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund opens on Monday to all qualified applicants. The fund is run by the and offers assistance to families in temporary crisis with help paying their home heating bill. It is for families who do not otherwise qualify for federal or state assistance programs. To qualify, a family of four would need to have a yearly income of between $60,035 and $80,047. This year's Fund disbursement is $350 per eligible household. The fund hopes to raise $650,000 and help more than 2,250 families this winter. For more information, call 800-334-3047 or check the website.
4. Vacation: Monday is the final day of school vacation for students in the and at . All students head back to school first thing on Tuesday morning after the holiday break.
5. Hamilton Selectmen: Typically, the Hamilton Board of Selectmen meet on Monday night. This week, because of the holiday, the board – at the same time and place as usual – 7 p.m. at .
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.