Today is Friday, May 11. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Parent Survey: Friday is the final day for parents to fill out an online survey that asks for opinions about parent involvement in the schools. was selected as one of the districts in the state to participate in the survey, run by the state Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. If more than 17 percent of parents participate, the school district is eligible for a small grant. The survey takes between three and 10 minutes to complete and will help increase parental involvement in the schools.
2. Gordon-Conwell Commencement: Dr. Tom Little was killed by the Taliban in 2010 and his wife Libby will address graduates at commencement on Saturday, encouraging then “to risk everything to live a meaningful life.”
3. Ice Cream: is known for its coffee, breakfasts and lunches, but now the restaurant at 300 at Main offers ice cream. Operator Nick Katsoulis said that in addition to ice cream, Henderson’s now also serves milkshakes, frappes and smoothies.
4. MetroDash: Next Saturday, a unique and exciting physical competition is coming to the Topsfield Fairgrounds – MetroDash. And Friday is the final day to register to compete. Even if you don’t compete, we’re told that it is a spectator-friendly event. Essentially, the event is a timed race where competitors run, climb, crawl, jump and swing through a series of obstacles set across a 600-yard long course.
5. Live Rabbit: There’s all sorts of great storytime sessions regularly offered for kids at , but how many of them involve a live bunny? Well, there’s one coming up on Saturday. From 2-3 p.m., the library will be offering a special storytime with Cooper the rabbit with stories about bunnies, rabbits and hares. The storytime is free, no preregistration is required and it is designed for children 2 and up.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.