Today is Wednesday, June 20. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Summer: Wednesday marks the summer solstice – better known as the first day of summer and the longest day of the year. Officially, summer arrives at 7:09 p.m.
2. Hot: Temperatures are forecasted to soar well into the 90s on Wednesday, the first of two days of what meteorologists say will be sweltering heat and humidity. Want to stay cool? Check out we came up with last summer as a heat wave approached.
3. Organics: With temperatures expected to rise above 90 on Wednesday and Thursday, here’s some tips from Gretel Clark about how to reduce or eliminate flies from getting in to your compost. Clark says she “strongly urges” anyone with organic material that contains meat or cooked food to put the food in a paper bag in their freezer or fridge until , when it can go out in the green bin.
4. Book Sale: For one day only, grab some great deals on children’s book at . The , hosted by , runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. only on Wednesday. In addition to books, there will be movies and CDs for sale. The afternoon includes two family-friendly movies, starting at 1:30 with Winnie the Pooh followed by Big Miracle.
5. Hamilton Conservation Commission: The meets at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at , where the board will be asked to sign of on a certificate of compliance for improvements to the yellow dot and white dot trails at .
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.