Today is Wednesday, July 11. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Owls: Live owls are coming to on Wednesday night. The library is presenting a program called, which will, among other things, show how owls “use their specialized sight, hearing and flight to survive.” It is free and open to the public.
2. Slurpees: Wednesday is July 11 - a.k.a. 7/11. And that means at participating 7-Eleven stores they will be giving away free 7.11 ounce Slurpee drinks between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Locally, the promotion is running at the 7-Eleven on Elliott Street in Beverly plus at two locations in Salem (North Street and Norman Street) plus four locations in Peabody and one in Gloucester.
3. Light Opera: The returns to the again this year, with the first performance on Wednesday night. It starts at 7:30 and is titled “A Grand Night for Singing” which will feature Broadway songs by Rodgers and Hammerstein, Gershwin, Lerner and Loewe. Tickets are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors and $5 for children and seniors. A summer pass for all five shows is $48.
4. Bikes: We take you out of town for this one, but it really is a great family-friendly and kid-friendly midweek event. The Gran Prix of Beverly comes to downtown Beverly on Wednesday night, with top-notch bicycle racers taking to a “criterium” course that circles Cabot and Dane streets. But beforehand, kids can take to the course for free in a kids parade at 7 p.m. Registration runs from 4:14-4:45 at Beverly Common.
5. Hamilton Zoning Board: There’s a full agenda on Wednesday night for the at . The board will continue to discuss an application from to , plus the plan to at and at .
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.