Save Money on Your Tax Bill

Visit the assessors office this week to see if you qualify for a reduction in your property tax bill. Here's a few programs to consider.

Some residents experienced sticker shock when they received their most recent property tax bills.

At a recent meeting of the Wenham Board of Selectmen, Steve Gasperoni, the town’s assessor and Tom Tanous, chairman of the Board of Assessors, explained the reasons for the jump in the assessed value of some homes in town. 

Many homeowners are asking, "What can I do about my property tax bill?" 

The answer is visit your assessors office to see if you qualify for a reduction in the assessment value of your home or one of the many programs to assist residents with lowering or deferring their tax burden.

First, if you feel the assessed value of your home is too high, file an abatement to appeal the valuation. This must be done before the due date on your tax bill. It’s a good idea to know the sales price of homes that sold in your neighborhood about a year ago and how they compare to your home in style, square footage and lot size. You can find this information on the Southern Essex County Registry of Deeds website at www.salemdeeds.com

Next, check to see if you are eligible for an exemption from the Community Preservation Act surcharge.  The exemption is based on your income level. In 2011, the income level was $77,200 for a couple over 60 or a family of 4 where the property owners were under 60. Check with the assessors office for the current year income levels for your age bracket and family size.

If you are a senior over 60 years of age, check with your town to see if they have a Senior Tax Work-off program. Both Wenham and Hamilton have a program.  Besides providing the opportunity to reduce your tax bill, this can be an opportunity to do something important for the community.

Last, if you are a senior over 70 years of age in Hamilton, check to see if you qualify for the Senior Real Estate Tax Exemption Program for low income seniors. 

Information about all of these programs is available from the assessors office at your town hall.  Many programs have deadlines approaching before Feb. 1, so  ask about them this week. 

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Stacey January 24, 2012 at 04:51 PM
If you live in Parson's Hill, I suggest you look at your property tax bill and might want to choose to abate the amount. You need to file this week.
Ted RIchard February 07, 2012 at 12:12 PM
One other way to lower your tax bill is to call or write your local fincom members and selectmen and tell them to cut spending.
Michelle Bailey February 07, 2012 at 01:13 PM
What are ideas for cutting spending in the towns? In 2009, voters rejected studying a police merger that might have saved $400K annually. In May 2011, voters approved $35K to maintain loose leaf pick-up. In the fall 2011, voters declined bi-weekly trash pick-up as a cost saving measure.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »