The following press release is courtesy of Thompson Communications:
The 2011 Topsfield Fair, running Sept. 30–Oct. 10 will offer hundred of contests for both amateur and professional entrants. Contests, some which include prize money while others are just for bragging rights, include:
- Art (Amateur & Professional) – Painting, Graphics, Photography, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/2
- Beekeeping – Honey Products, Beeswax Candles, Arts & Crafts, etc. Entry dates vary.
- Canning – Jelly, Jam, Preserves, Relish, etc. Entries accepted on 9/10 from 10am-2pm.
- Crafts - Basketry, Ceramic, Crocheting, Doll, Knitting, Needlework, Model Quilting, Rug, Sewing, Smocking, Woodworking. Entry dates vary.
- Farm Photos (Theme: Agriculture in Massachusetts). Entry Deadline: 9/2
- Flowers – Bonsai, Dahlias & Zinnias, Hanging Basket, Holiday Decoration, Houseplants, Natural Materials - Dried, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/26
- Foods – King Arthur Foods Filled & Frosted Cupcakes, Fleischmann’s Yeast “Bake for the Cure,” Pillsbury Pie Crusts Pie Baking Championship, Ghirardelli Chocolate Championship, Parent & Child Cookie Celebration (Theme: Thumbprint Cookie),Topsfield Fair Apple Pie Contest. Entry dates vary.
- Fruit – Apples, Berries, Crabapples, Grapes, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Quinces. Entries accepted on 9/29 from 7pm-9pm.
- Giant Pumpkins – Last year’s winner was 1,674.5 pounds. How much will this year’s winner weigh?
- Poultry – Ducks & Geese, Standard Poultry, Eggs, Bantams, Cock Crowing, Hen Flying, Turkeys, Pigeons, Non-Standard Barnyard Rooster, Poster (Theme: Fall Migration). Entry Deadline: 8/31
- Vegetables – Family Garden, Home Garden, Commercial Growers, Squash & Pumpkin, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/20
Additional categories include: Alpaca, Cattle, Christmas Trees, Grange, Horse & Oxen Pulls, Rabbits & Cavies, Sheep, Wine Making & Wine Label, 4-H Club, and many others. Entry deadlines vary.
There are also two pageants held annually at the Topsfield Fair:
- Junior King & Queen - For children ages 5–8, who will be judged on general appearance, conduct and personality. Each child will be interviewed on stage. All contestants will be asked to be dressed in casual attire. Entry Deadline: 9/30. Pageant held on 10/1.
- Mrs. Essex County – Open to married women at least 18 years old, currently living inEssex County with her husband. Each contestant will submit a prepared food item, appetizers. A preliminary interview will be conducted and selected participants will appear in the pageant in elegant cocktail wear and will be judged on general appearance, personality, poise, and food score. Entry Deadline: 10/6. Pageant held on 10/9.
Entry forms are available at www.topsfieldfair.org. Information on each contest can be found under the “Exhibitors Handbook” section on the website. Contact information for the person responsible for each contest is included with the contest form for each department. Requirements and entry deadlines vary for each contest vary. Please check the web site or the fair office at (978) 887-5000 for more information.
Ticket prices for the Topsfield Fair remain at only $10 per person on weekdays and $12 per person on weekends and Columbus Day. Children under eight with an adult are free. Discount tickets are available at www.topsfieldfair.org through September 27, 2011. General Admission tickets can be purchased for only $8.50, which are good any day during the Fair’s 11-day run. Discounted food vouchers and ride tickets are also available at www.topsfieldfair.org.