Today is Friday, Aug. 17. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Voter Registration: Friday is the final day to register to vote in advance of the Sept. 7 primary election. Typically, Town Clerk’s offices are open until 8 p.m. on the final day to register before an election. But this is the first Thursday election and that means the deadline falls on a Friday. So Secretary of State Bill Galvin said that clerk’s offices, including at Hamilton Town Hall and Wenham Town Hall, can close at 5 p.m.
2. Readers Choice: Friday is the final day to place a vote in the . Have your say on everything from the to the in Hamilton and Wenham. Voting closes at 11:59 p.m. on Friday.
3. 1.91 inches: The thunderstorm and torrential rainshower that moved through Hamilton and Wenham late Wednesday night and Thursday dropped 1.91 inches of rain at Beverly Airport, which is partly in Wenham. That is more than half the average August rainfall in the area – 3.4 inches.
4. Police Academy: The is holding its . The class will consist of 20 participants and Friday is the final day to submit an application to become part of the academy.
5. Pirate Invasion: is hosting a from 1-3 p.m. that the museum says will include kids “getting tattooed, fencing with balloon swords and defending your ship in an outdoor water battle.” And Friday is the final day to register. The cost is $10 for museum members and $14 for nonmembers.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.