Today is Friday, Sept. 27. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Gas: After weeks of rising gas prices, the American Automobile Association said in the past week that prices actually dropped. In recent days, though, we have seen the price tick back up again. The lowest price in the two towns on Thursday was at G & M Motors at $3.77. It was $3.81 at Oliver Gulf and Hamilton Convenience and $4.09 at Fallon’s Auto.
2. Coffee: Friday is National Coffee Day. All week, McDonalds – including the one on Route 1A in North Beverly - has been giving out free small coffees. On Friday, 7-Eleven jumps in to the mix with free coffee from 6-10 a.m. While there is no 7-Eleven store in Hamilton, there’s one in the Ryal Side of Beverly on Elliott Street plus one on Route 1 North in Peabody. There’s about 12 locations in the nearby North Shore area.
3. Events: Our weekly “Get Out” weekend events guide was posted here on Hamilton-Wenham Patch this morning, and the No. 1 way we get events to include is from the events calendar on Patch. And most of those events come direct from our readers. Anyone can add a local event quickly, easily and for free on our “add an event” page.
4. Good Neighbor: Are you a good neighbor? Or do you have good neighbors? If so, Friday in the day to celebrate. The concept of National Good Neighbor Day began in the early 1970s when Montana resident Becky Mattson pushed to create a holiday that would recognize people who make their neighborhoods a great place to live. The annual event became a National Holiday in 2003 when U.S. Sen. Max Baucus sponsored a U. S. resolution naming Sept. 28 National Good Neighbor Day.
5. Smithsonian: Do not forget that, by going online and printing out a coupon, you can get into Wenham Museum on Saturday for free. Smithsonian Magazine sponsors the program, called “Museum Day Live!”. The program also includes dozens of other museums in Massachusetts and 100s of museums across the county.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.