Today is Wednesday, Sept. 26. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Early Release: It’s Wednesday, which means it is early release day for the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District. Elementary schools get out at 12:45 p.m. and the high school and middle school get out at 1:30 p.m.
2. Topsfield Fair: Wednesday is the last day to buy discount tickets for the 2012 Topsfield Fair, which starts on Friday. There’s nowhere in the two towns where the discount tickets are sold, but you can buy them at the Fairgrounds on Route 1 in Topsfield. The closest place is likely Dawson’s True Value in North Beverly. You can also get then at Marblehead Bank in Beverly; Cherry Farm Creamery, Gibney Gardens and The Butchery in Danvers, First National Bank of Ipswich in Ipswich and Essex and Zodiac Paints in Ipswich. The tickets, which are $9 each, save you $2 on weekdays and $6 on weekends and Columbus Day.
3. Mosquitoes: If it does not rain and temperatures are expected to be above 60 degrees, spraying for mosquitoes it planned for a portion of Hamilton on Wednesday night. A mosquito tested positive for West Nile Virus near Chebacco Lake last week and the spraying, at that time, was planned for Wednesday night. It will happen along Essex Street and the streets east of it.
4. Asian Longhorn Beetles: You’ve probably seen or heard about the damage caused in the Worcester area in recent years by the Asian Longhorned Beatle. Learn more about the beetle on Wednesday night at Hamilton-Wenham Library from Eric Seaborn of the state Department of Conservation and Recreation Urban Forestry staff. He’ll help you learn the signs that the beetle is around, know its lifecycle and know the look-a-likes in the program that runs from 7-8 p.m.
5. Yom Kippur: Wednesday is Yom Kippur, the Jewish holiday that marks the end of the annual High Holy Day period. It is the holiest day of the year for Jews and is referred to as the “Day of Atonement.”
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.