Today is Thursday, Oct. 25. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. More Sun: Thursday will be a perfect fall day, with sunny skies and the temperature getting up to around 60 degrees.
2. First Aid: If you want to take a first aid class at the Community House this weekend, Thursday is the final day to sign up. The class is on Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. for a fee of $50. The class is taught by Registered nurses Regina Baker and Sheryl Razney includes a certification card valid for two years.
3. Debate: The two major party candidates seeking the Sixth Congressional District seat, which includes Hamilton and Wenham, will be going head to head again on Thursday. This time the venue is WCVB-TV studios in Needham for U.S. Rep. John Tierney (D-Salem) and Republican challenger Richard Tisei. The debate will be part of the show “On the Record” which will air on Sunday. And again, like last week’s half hour debate on NECN, Libertarian candidate Daniel Fishman will not take part.
4. Hurricane: OK, so Hurricane Sandy just moved across Jamaica on Wednesday and even if it makes it up our way it is still four days away. But forecasters on Wednesday evening began to make it sound like the changes of landfall in New England are at about 50-50. Even if it doesn’t arrive, we heard one good tip – maybe grab some extra batteries now and make sure your gutters are clear. It’s two little chores that will be good to have done even if the storm doesn’t head our way.
5. Wenham History: Local historian Jack Hauck continues his series of Wenham history presentations on Thursday at the Wenham Senior Center at 11 a.m. He’ll talk about the history of the north end of Main Street and it will be followed by a luncheon for $3.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.