Today is Tuesday, Jan. 15. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Thaw: The January thaw is over and temperatures return to more typical wintertime temperatures on Tuesday. The sky will be sunny with a high temperature of about 40 degrees.
2. Dog Sled Races: Exactly two years ago today was the start of the oh-so-snowy sled dog races at Appleton Farms. This year’s edition was planned for this coming weekend, but on Monday was postponed to the backup date of Feb. 2-3.
3. Casinos: Tuesday is the deadline for companies interested in building a resort casino in the state to submit a deposit. The chairman of the state Gaming Commission told the North Shore Chamber of Commerce last month that after Tuesday, we will know all the companies that have a shot at opening one of the three resort casinos that will be allowed in the state.
4. Gas: The least expensive gallon of gas in the two towns on Monday was $3.39 per gallon at G & M Motors, below the statewide average of $3.43. Hamilton Convenience and Oliver Gulf were above the average at $3.47 and Fallon’s Auto was also above the average at $3.69.
5. FinComm: The Hamilton Finance Advisory Committee meets on Tuesday night at Hamilton Town Hall at 7:30 p.m., where the committee will take a look at draft versions of both the town and school budgets.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.