On “Black Friday,” allegedly one of the busiest shopping days of the year, we give you some things to know about shopping right here in Hamilton and Wenham.
1. Parking: Unlike the downtown areas in many communities, it does not cost a cent to park in downtown Hamilton, whether it is at the plaza or on Railroad Avenue. The same goes for Wenham. Take your time with no worries about feeding the meter or getting a ticket. But you should still remember parking laws, including following the posted signs and keeping away from fire hydrants and street corners.
2. More Than Downtown: Do not forget, there are some great possible holiday shopping spots in the two towns outside of the town center in Wenham and in the Hamilton-Wenham village.
Just a few examples: Head up Asbury Street to or up Bay Road to or down Main Street in Wenham to .
3. Lines: At Hamilton and Wenham businesses, you will be sure to avoid the obnoxious lines that stretched around some of the big box stores in the early morning hours on Friday. You can get right in and look around and get what you need.
4. Find What You Want: Maybe you know that you want to shop local this holiday season, but don’t know what to get. Or maybe you know what you want and are first going to see if it is available locally. Just turn to Hamilton-Wenham Patch’s Places section, which lists every business in the two towns
5. Gift Certificates: Almost all businesses offer gift cards. It’s a great way to give the gift of a favorite business, such as a restaurant, even if it does not sell “gifts.” Plus, you may be surprised; even some small businesses now often gift cards that allow you to save the balance on the card if it isn't all used the first time.