It is Friday, Dec. 6. Here are five things you need to know
in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Warm: Temperatures will be unseasonably warm on Friday with temperatures forecasted to get into the low 50s. The sky will be cloudy all day, with a chance of showers through the morning and early afternoon with light northwest winds.
2. Wreaths: Green Meadows Farm in Hamilton will host a wreath-making party on Friday and Saturday at the farmstand on Asbury Street. The classes will be held at 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. both days, where participants can make a custom-made 24-inch balsam wreath. The cost is $40 and includes materials and light refreshments. Registration is required, either in person at the farmstand or by calling 978-468-2277.
3. Pearl Harbor: Saturday is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, marking the 72nd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941. More than 2,400 U.S. servicemembers were killed in the unprovoked attack by Japanese forces that destroyed or damaged nearly the entire U.S. Pacific fleet and destroyed 200 U.S. aircraft. The attack immediately caused then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Congress to enter the United States into World War II.
4. Christmas Gala: Gordon College’s Christmas Gala gets started on Friday and happens again on Saturday at the college’s Wenham campus. The college calls the concert the North Shore's largest Christmas celebration, with music from the Gordon Children's Choir, College Choir, Men's Choir, Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble and Women's Choir. It starts at 8 p.m. both nights in the A.J. Gordon Memorial Chapel. Tickets are $15 for general admission; $12 for seniors and $10 per person for groups of 10 or more. Children 12 and under are free.
5. Checkpoint: State Police plan a sobriety checkpoint somewhere in Essex County on Friday night into early Saturday. Police are required to disclose the general location of planned checkpoint but not the exact locations. It can be anywhere in the county.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.