It is Friday, Sept. 20. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Streak: The streak of wonderful fall weather continues Friday with a near repeat of Thursday. The sky will be sunny and temperatures will get into the mid and upper 70s again.
2. Book Sale: The semiannual book sale, hosted by the Friends of Hamilton-Wenham Public Library, opens for the first time to the public on Saturday morning at 9 a.m. If you are a Friends member, though, you get a sneak preview on Friday night from 6-8 p.m. and get “first dibs” on this fall’s selection of books. The sale will run through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. If you want to be part of Friday night’s members-only event, you can join at the door too.
3. Trails and Sails: It’s the first of two weekends for the Essex County-wide Trails and Sails event, a collection of activities and event organized by the Essex County Heritage Area to celebrate everything the county has to offer. This weekend’s events in Wenham include a family scavenger hunt that starts at Wenham Museum and a presentation Friday night about mile posts in New England, also at the museum.
4. Distinguished Leadership: Friday marks the final day to submit a nomination for this year’s Distinguished Leadership Awards from the North Shore Chamber of Commerce. The awards will be presented at the Chamber’s Nov. 19 Annual Dinner Meeting. The nomination form is online and nominees should be leaders that are committed to social responsibility with strong community involvement and “a high level of creativity, innovation and determination,” among other qualities. Last year’s award winners included Joanne Patton of Hamilton.
5. Flag Football: Don’t forget that each Saturday afternoon and evening this fall is game time for New England Flag Football, a growing and popular league for kids age 5-13. Games run from 3-8 p.m. at Patton Park.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.