It is Thursday, Jan. 2. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Snow: You’ve been hearing the hype for several days and it is expected to roll in on Thursday. A Nor’Easter could drop up to a foot of snow between Thursday morning and midday on Friday. It will also be cold, with a high temperature in the mid 20s and gusty winds.
2. Legislature: The State Legislature reconvenes on Thursday for the first time in 2014. It is the second year of the 188th “General Court” at 1 p.m.
3. Leaves: Roadside leaf pickup in Wenham came to an abrupt end in early December because of two back-to-back storms that left the ground covered with snow. If you still have bagged leaves that need to be collected, you can call 978-468-5520 ext. 6 for more information and to schedule a pick up.
4. School: While more than 200 schools in the state have cancelled school on Thursday and/or Friday because of the approaching snowstorm, the decision to cancel school, of course, is moot for the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District because the original calendar did not have students returning until Monday, Jan. 6. Students at Pingree School in Hamilton head back on Tuesday, Jan. 7.
5. School Committee: The Hamilton-Wenham School Committee gets back to work on Thursday night with a regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room at Buker Elementary School. The committee is expected to approve about 10 amended policies and also discuss maintenance projects for the district, according to the meeting agenda.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.