It is Friday, Oct. 4. Here are five things you need to know
in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Nice: The streak of nice fall days continues on Friday, with the forecast calling for a partly sunny day with temperatures getting into the low 70s. There will be some clouds around and there will be a slight chance of a shower.
2. Civil War: “Koffee Klatch,” which has a new name as “First Fridays,” returns to the Hamilton-Wenham Library on Friday with “Abolitionists, Sanitary Commissioners and Writers: North Shore Women of the Civil War” at 10:30 a.m. Local historian Bonnie Hurd Smith will tell “stories of the North Shore women who worked and did their part to leave behind a legacy of honor and service,” including the stories of Sarah Parker Remond, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Kate Tannatt Woods and Hannah Rantoul.
3. Bees: This great fall weather has given us plenty of opportunities to be active outside. If that has taken you into the woods of the many natural areas of the two towns, the Essex County Trail Association has recently issued an alert to remember that ground bees are very active this time of year. The association said that often larger groups repeatedly pounding on or near the nest can cause the bees to attack and reminds anyone that is allergic to carry the proper treatment for bee stings.
4. Arts Week: Next week is Arts Week for the YMCA of the North Shore. It officially begins on Monday, but gets started on Friday with a three-day “24 Hour Film Festival for Teens” at all of the North Shore Y locations, including the Sterling Center in Beverly and Ipswich Y, where teams of teenagers will write, shoot, and edit a short film in two days. Next week’s activities will include a poetry contest, art show and other activities.
5. Music: Gordon College piano faculty member Alina Polyakov combines with Boston Symphony Orchestra violinist Aza Raykhtsaum and cellist Jules Eskin in a violin, cello and piano concert at the Phillips Recital Hall at 8 p.m. on Friday. Tickets are $20 general admission and $10 for seniors.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.