It is Friday, Jan. 17. Here are five things you need to know
in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. 40s: The temperature is forecasted to return to the low 40s on Friday with partly sunny skies. There will be a very light southwest wind.
2. Middle School: The search is underway for a new principal at Miles River Middle School, after principal John Driscoll resigned last month for medical reasons. The application deadline for candidates is Friday and interviews will be held starting during afternoons next week. There are two spots for Miles River parents to participate in the interview process. If you are a middle school parent that wants to be considered, submit an e-mail with a brief statement of interest saying why you would be a good parent representative on the interview panel. Send it to Interim Principal John Hughes at email@example.com on Friday.
3. Volunteering: Again on Friday, North Shore United Way will host an open house at its office at 248 Cabot St. in Beverly from noon to 5 p.m., where anyone who shows up will get to see a short demonstrations of the United Way’s new volunteer website and find “meaningful volunteer opportunities” all over the North Shore, including in Hamilton and Wenham.
4. Black Cow: A winter tradition for Essex County Trail Association is a cross-country skiing adventure from Appleton Farms to the Black Cow restaurant in Hamilton. In the case of snowless conditions, it becomes a hike. It is again planned for Saturday at 10 a.m. starting at the parking lot on Waldingfield Road at the corner of Route 1A and Waldingfield Road in Ipswich. The event is free (each participant is responsible for purchasing their own lunch) and the ECTA just asks to register beforehand. Lunch will happen at about noon and transportation will be provided back to the parking area.
5. Weekend: Don’t forget, we’re headed in to a long weekend where there is no school on Monday and some businesses and most government offices will also be closed on Monday for Martin Luther King Jr. Day to honor the civil rights leader.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.