Five Things to Know Today in Hamilton and Wenham: June 6
An essential get-me-going daily morning column from Hamilton-Wenham Patch.
Today is Wednesday, June 6. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Rail Trail: The ribbon was officially cut Saturday for the “Danvers Rail Trail,” which stretches into Wenham. It connects Topsfield to Danvers and passes through the Great Wenham Swamp. Part of the festivities, which were moved to the Danvers Indoor Sports Arena because of the rain, included a performance by Enon Brass and the Wenham Town Band, shown in the attached photo.
2. 50%: Banbury Cross Children’s Bookshop on Wednesday is moving a step closer to its final closing day when all of the inventory will be marked at 50 percent off through June 16 (the final day). Last month, owner Pat Purdy announced that the store will be closing in mid-June after 24 years in business. Purdy said on Tuesday there’s still a selection of books, books on compact disc, cards and summer reading titles.
3. Climbing Wall: All summer long, the climbing wall at La Vida Rock Gym at Gordon College will be open to the public for “open gym.” That starts on Wednesday night from 6-9 p.m. The summer open hours will run Wednesdays through Aug. 15.
4. Winner: We owe a belated congratulations to Pat Rich of Hamilton, who won the Melody Miles 5 mile road race back on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Rich, who is an assistant coach for the Hamilton-Wenham Regional High School cross-country team and has won several other road races in the area in recent years including the Cape Cod marathon, won by an amazing 4:35. The race, which features student musicians serenading the runners along the course, serves as the largest annual fundraiser for The Friends of the Arts organization.
5. Hamilton Zoning Board: The Hamilton Zoning Board of Appeals meets on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. at Hamilton Town Hall to hold public hearings for four applications, including an application from Mike’s Auto Repair to continue selling used car from his downtown Hamilton business.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.