Five Things to Know on Jan. 23: State Budget to be Unveiled
An essential get-me-going daily morning column from Hamilton-Wenham Patch.
Today is Wednesday, Jan. 23. Here are five things you need to know in Hamilton and Wenham:
1. Colder: Some of the coldest weather in two years will hit us on Wednesday, with the temperature sticking to the teens all day. The windchill could be as low as -10 and the west wind will gust up to 20 miles per hour.
2. Flu: The spread of influenza seems to have slowed, but flu season is far from over. If you are still looking to get a flu shot, Addison Gilbert Hospital is hosting a flu shot clinic on Wednesday. The clinic will be held from 9-11 a.m. and 5-7 p.m. in the cafe at Addison Gilbert Hospital at 298 Washington St. in Gloucester. The clinic is open to anyone 4-year-old and up and is free.
3. Bridge: If you want to learn how to play Bridge, you’ll have a chance at Hamilton-Wenham Library on Wednesday. A series of classes on Wednesdays will run through March 6. The classes are free and open to anyone who wants to learn how to play but registration is required. Call 978-468-5577 or stop by the reference desk.
4. Budget: The state budget will be publicly unveiled on Wednesday, showing the specifics on the fiscal 2014 state budget, which will determine everything from local aid numbers to transportation funding. It is also expected to include the increased income tax and reduced sales tax plan first announced in the State of the Commonwealth by Gov. Deval Patrick.
5. Finance Committee: The Wenham Finance Advisory Committee meets on Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. at Wenham Town Hall. The committee will continue to take a look at the fiscal 2014 budget.
To find out what is going on today in Hamilton and Wenham, check out our events listings.